"As I reflect back on my life, that first week or two of freshman year, with the bonding with my fellow freshman Dorm Crew members, was an extraordinary stress reliever as we found out about each other and that we were all scared to death that Harvard had made a mistake admitting each one of us! I will never forget those initial few weeks in Cambridge." —Ray Peters '69
What is Fall Clean-Up?
For more than sixty years, Dorm Crew has welcomed Harvard first-years to campus for our annual Fall Clean-Up (FCU). Created in 1951, Dorm Crew is a student employment and leadership program that is entirely managed and operated by Harvard undergraduates. Today, Dorm Crew offers employment opportunities, leadership development, advising resources, and pre-orientation programing to more than 800 students annually. Each year, 300 incoming first-years join FCU to have fun and work hard while cleaning and preparing the dorms for student move-in. Throughout the week, students will have the opportunity to explore and engage with Harvard’s campus and community through various planned events:
Get to Know Harvard and Boston
- Malkin Athletic Center Tours
- Walking tours of Harvard, Cambridge, and Boston
- Cross-Campus Scavenger Hunt
“How to Harvard” Peer advising
- Captains Q&A Panel
- Small group discussions led by Captains about life at Harvard (E.g.,Women in STEM, How to use Office Hours and Libraries, Music and Art at Harvard, Life as a Student-Athlete, and more)
- The Dorm Crew Alumni Advising Network connects current and incoming students with Harvard alumni who are willing to share their expertise and career advice as they navigate through Harvard and beyond.
Get to Know the Community
- Community meals in the dining hall with Captains, fellow FCU participants, and other Pre-Orientation programs
- Ice Cream Social
- Trivia Night
- Movie Screenings
Get to Know University Resources
- Financial Literacy Workshop with the Harvard Credit Union
- Lunch with the Office of Career Services
- Managing Stress at Harvard Student Panel
- Student Funding Opportunities at Harvard (How to get money for study abroad, research, public service, and other opportunities)
Why Fall Clean-Up?
Year after year, students have found Fall Clean-Up to be a rewarding experience that offers a great community of friends and provides an unrivaled introduction to the diversity of the Harvard community, the aged beauty of Harvard's student residences, and the vibrant life of Harvard Square. Under the guidance of our upperclassman captains, we aim to deliver a Fall Clean-Up experience that truly orients students to what life at Harvard is all about. To learn even more about FCU, check out the experiences of past FCU participants.
“I loved FCU because I met some of my best friends at Harvard and found a community that has been really important to me throughout my time in college.”
—Sarah E. Lagan ‘19